Opthalmic (eye) surgery is required to treat a number of conditions or to improve eye-sight. Surgery can be performed to:
- Improve eye-sight – Lasers are used by eye specialists to make adjustments to the internal structure of the eye. Various lasers are used such as LASIK, LASEK, PRK or Wavefront-guided LASIK surgery.
- Improve eye-sight by replacing the lens with an artificial one.
- Cataract surgery – to remove a cloudy lens and replace it with an artificial one.
- Diabetes complications – to repair damage to the blood vessels caused by diabetes, injections into the eye to treat diabetic retinopathy.
- Glaucoma treatment- Excess fluid in the eye leads to an increase in pressure which can damage the optic nerve and vision
- Surgery for retinal disorders including a detached retina
- Strabismus surgery (for squints)
- Eye disease in children and sight development impairments