Compensation claims for meningitis misdiagnosis not only reflect the physical and mental pain and suffering experienced but also:
- Allow you to obtain justice for the mistreatment and negligence you experienced
- Highlight failings in clinical practice, standards of care and protocols
- Provide you and your family with an explanation of the incident and an apology if shortcomings are acknowledged
The compensation payment will depend on several factors:
- Your pain and suffering
- Your prognosis
- The impact of the delay and / or negligence on your health and quality of life – including current and future care requirements, medical aids, home adaptations or other necessary assistance
- Any financial losses you have incurred as a result of the injuries – including past loss of earnings, medical expenses, travel expenses and equipment costs
- Any future financial losses, e.g. loss of wages, loss of promotion prospects, pension
Compensation for meningitis claims injury fall into two main categories:
- General compensation (General Damages): this includes compensation for pain and suffering and the impact of the injury on lifestyle and quality of life.
- Financial losses and expenses (Special Damages): these include the costs associated with private treatment, care support, travel expenses, other medical expenses, specialist equipment and loss of income.