Compensation For Negligently Performed Hernia Repair Surgery


Legal Action following negligently performed hernia repair resulting in bladder prolapsing into the client’s scrotum.


Currently valued at £250,000

What Happened

In September 2013, the Claimant presented to his GP with signs of an inguinal hernia. He was referred to a Consultant Vascular Surgeon, who saw the Claimant at the 1st Defendants hospital and opined that he had “…quite a large inguino-scrotal hernia which is difficult to reduce…I have advised him to have surgical repair.”

The Claimant was placed on a list for repair. Under the 1st Defendants Guidelines, the repair surgery should have taken place within a period of 18 weeks from being placed onto the waiting list.

In reality however there was an unnecessary delay before the surgery was listed. This only occurred following intervention from the Claimant’s G.P. on the 8th April 2014.

The Surgery was eventually listed for the 28th May 2014, a day short of 32 weeks following being placed on the list and therefore almost 14 weeks later than the guidelines.

The Claimant remained significantly symptomatic during the period that he was waiting for the surgery.

On the 28th May 2014, the Claimant underwent repair of a large right inguinoscrotal hernia.

Following the surgery, the Claimant developed urinary frequency and incontinence, and, on the 30th May 2014, he was readmitted to hospital. The Claimant was advised that these problems were as a result of the scrotal swelling pressing on his bladder.

The Claimant was seen again by the 2nd Defendants on the 7th July 2014 where it was noted that he had a haematoma in the scrotal sac. The Claimant was advised that if this didn’t resolve he should see a Urologist. Symptoms persisted and the Claimant therefore saw a Urologist on the 23rd September 2014 who noted that “…on examination of his abdomen to me would suggest that he does have a large residual right-sided hernia…I just wonder whether or not he has, in fact, a sliding element to his hernia with a bladder contained within so I have arranged for him to have a CT Urogram to delineate his anatomy and look at the groin more carefully.”

The CT Urogram was undertaken on 7th October 2014. The scan reported right hydronephrosis and hydroureter associated with a persisting right inguinal hernia.  The Claimant was then reviewed by Mr Khan on the 3rd November 2014 and further surgery was recommended.

The surgery was booked for the 21st March 2015.

Prior to the surgery taking place, Mr Khan, the Surgeon, did not bring in a Urological team or discuss the procedure with an Urologist.

Further, Mr James, the Consultant Urologist who had been responsible for the Claimant’s Urological care, did not offer any urological input and/or assist in providing advice as to how to undertake the procedure.

Mr James, nor anyone from the Urological Team was present during the surgery.

The surgery took place on the 21st March 2015.

Following the surgery, the Claimant’s right testicle began to swell to a significant size and the Claimant developed abscesses in the surrounding testicle and in the groin.

The Claimant was discharged home in significant pain.

The Claimant returned to hospital on the 7th April 2015

The scrotal condition deteriorated and on the 19th April 2015 the Claimant suffered an eruption of his scrotum whilst he was at home. The Claimant was taken to the 1st Defendants Hospital where a scan revealed a “scrotal infected haematoma extending into the inguinal canal + Rt inguinal hernia containing part of the urinary bladder.” The Claimant was admitted and given IV antibiotics. He was subsequently discharged on the 23rd April 2015.

The haematoma continues draining of what was infected material.

The Claimant attended the 1st Defendants Hospital on the 6th May 2015 and was seen by a Consultant Urologist.

The Claimant was subsequently admitted to the 1st Defendants Hospital between the 7th May and the 18th May 2015 where he underwent exploration and debridement with a right orchidectomy.

On the 26th May 2015 the Claimant was reviewed by the 1st Defendants Mr Odogwu

The Claimant was readmitted to 1st Defendants Hospital between the 31st May 2015 and the 3rd June 2015 for further management of the scrotal swelling.

The swelling persisted and the Claimant continued to be symptomatic. Scanning in 2017 confirmed that the Claimant had a large inguinosacral hernia containing bladder.

The Claimant underwent further revision surgery on the 7th November 2018. The procedure went well however the Claimant remains symptomatic.

If we believe that you have strong grounds for a surgical error compensation claim, our experienced medical negligence solicitors will support you with our ‘No Win No Fee‘ agreement. This means that you will not be charged any upfront legal costs in order to start your claim and if your claim is not successful, you will not incur any costs*.

Contact us today for your free no-obligation case evaluation. Call us on 0333 900 8787, email or complete our online contact form.

Get in touch

Devonshires Claims
Ground Floor
30 Finsbury Circus
Finsbury, London